Plant - Artichoke
* Good Companion - Asparagus, Cabbage Family, Peas [ they exude nitrogen], sunflowers, tarragon
Aromatic herbs such as -
Vegetables- Corn as it provides some shade during the hottest months.
Cucumbers - Artichoke makes a good trellis for cucumbers
Boosts: flowering the artichoke attracts many beneficial pollinators into the area.
Compliments the growth of
** Bad Companion - Potatoes
Down Side -
- Heavy, very heavy nitrogen feeders.
- Love extra rich, slightly alkaline soil.
- Loves soil that drains well
- Constant, and generous supply of water
- Soil that is loose and well tilled.
- Big leaves means lots of space around the plant that will be in shadow.
- May grow up to a meter each side of the core stem, which also will grow up to 1 meter tall [ 4 ft]